[Skip to content]

Search our Site

For parents and carers

Safeguarding is about protecting children, young people and adults at risk from abuse or neglect.  It also means helping children to grow up into confident, healthy and happy adults.  

Most children enjoy generally happy childhood experiences within their own family. Unfortunately for some, this is not the case. During difficult family times, everyone who knows the child must do the best they can to protect them from future harm.  

You could be a neighbour, friend, relative, childminder, teacher or doctor, or working for any organisation which has contact with children and young people.  Protecting children is everyone’s responsibility.   

We hope this website provides you with important information about safeguarding plus help and advice on a whole host of topics to support you and your family.

If you are concerned about a child or young person please call the telephone numbers below. 

During office hours call the children's services referral and advice service on 0300 555 0050 (9:00 – 5:00 Mon-Fri) .

Out of office hours contact the Emergency Duty Team on 0300 555 8574 or in an emergency call 999.


If you contact Dudley safeguarding you will speak to a professional who will listen to your concerns.  They may take a few details and might need to contact you again but your concern will be dealt with quickly and appropriately.

You do not need to provide your name or give contact details if you do not wish to do so.  Anonymous calls will not be ignored.

If you are not happy with the service you receive please contact children’s services corporate complaints by emailing complaints.socialcare@dudley.gov.uk or call 0300 5552345

Report a concern about a child or young person image

Alterntaively you can contact ChildLine on 0800 1111 or email  them by visiting their website www.childline.org.uk

Photography & use of images

Taking pictures and videos of children and young people's achievements and activities is a wonderful way of capturing a memory and promoting successes but consideration needs to be given to who might have access to those images.



What's the problem with photos?

Nothing if used by the right people for the right purpose.  However, if used by the wrong people for the wrong purpose, children and young people could be at risk.

more information about the use of images


Would you give a complete stranger personal information about yourself or anyone in your family?

Promoting children and young people through photography or video is not an unsafe activity but careful consideration should be given about the amount of information shared in context of the image and also who might have access to that information.


What happens if someone is concerned about your child and reports it?

If someone is concerned about your child the local authority will look into it and may contact you to see how they can help support you and your child’s needs. 

They may be able to provide information about different services you can access such as children’s centres, parenting classes, child care support, job centre plus, training advice and family health services to name but a few.

The social workers are there to help and advise you and your family.

Help and advice

The Family Information Service (FIS) directory is a useful guide to services and organisations that support children and young people, parents, carers and the people who work with them.

From antenatal classes to dance groups, disability support to healthy eating, we hope to meet everyone's needs.

You can search for a local service or activity by type, location or age range, and can also search for specific requirements, for example wheelchair access or languages spoken.

Visit our  online family service directory