1. We recommend that you interview any potential carers. For safety reasons, if you can, we would also suggest that this is done in a separate location away from your home with somebody there to assist you.
2. When you have decided who you would like to employ, ask for two references including one from the carers most recent employer. Make contact with these people to find out what they have to say.
3. If you are happy with these references, you should arrange to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check done on your potential employee. This check will identify if someone has been barred from working with vulnerable adults or children. (If you have children under the age of 16 living with you then we will insist that a DBS check is done on any potential carers.) To find out more on DBS checks please contact us or your Direct Payments support advisor.
4. Always ask if agency carers have been checked with the DBS.
5. It is also possible to find out more on how an agency performed in their inspections by visiting the official website of the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Their website address is www.cqc.org.uk or you can telephone them, their phone number is 03000 616161